View Single Post
Old September 13, 2017, 06:14 AM   #20
Satchmoeddie

Items that require batteries will likely be dead, especially when I need them. I live in a big well lit city, so night sights will suffice. I do have some rail mounted lights, but I only put them on when I am on the road. I am not a fan of the Beretta or S&W 39/59 slide mounted decocker safeties, but I can work with just about anything as far as controls. A small inconspicuous safety like the Shield or Sig P320 is just fine. I am a long time shooter, and am used to automatically brushing off Hi Power, or 1911 safeties. I am not a huge fan of the polymer striker fired guns. I don't dislike them at all, and I have been known to carry them, but I just prefer a double action single action, or a single action only. I carried Browning Hi Powers for many years, and even bought a beat up evidence Mkiii Belgian Hi Power to use while my Glock was in the shop, which was very often, until they finally fixed all their problems in 1992. I went from the ridiculously priced Hi Powers to the slightly less expensive German *& Swiss made Sig P226s & P228s. Decocker, no safety, and a trigger that was as smooth as hot buttered ball bearings on black ice. The Beretta PX4 Storm had a lot of wow factor for me. I have never shot a compact sized gun for the first time from 25 yards and made it look like a trickshot show before. Polymer, but hammer fired DA/SA decocker ONLY, with stealth levers, comp trigger group, and a duty spring set. CZ 75s and other CZ pistols are also great shooting guns that are super accurate and easy shooting. Glock holds one feature that I like. It's the Bic Lighter of handguns. It's not super accurate, or a joy for me to shoot, but they just works almost 100% of the time. I dislike the grip angle, the sights, and the triggers, but buying a replacement gun, or replacement parts is so easy. Colt D and I Frame revolvers are also a treat to shoot. Give me a 2 5/8" Diamondback, and a 4"-6" Python any day. Smith J, K, & L frames (after a trigger job) are also a treat. Grand Power & Beretta PX4s with the rotary locking barrels shoot way above their weight and size (barrel length). A Grand Power 10mm would have to be one of my favorite 10mm pistols. 10 mm in a Glock is too jumpy for me, the 10 mm Grand Power shoots more like a reduced recoil 9mm, and it holds 14+1, so put that in your pipe and smoke it. The Grand Power is a Slovakian gun, and those Croatian made polymer Springfields are sweet shooters too. I have been a Hi Power fan since I was 10 years old. I enjoy taking those Browning guns like the 1911, P35, CZ75, etc. apart, and making them super reliable and super accurate, just as much as I enjoy doing trigger jobs on revolvers. As long as it works when I need it, and it's there when I need it, I am happy. The smallest I carry is the Beretta 3032, and the largest, I suppose, is a 12 gauge. No Hillary Holes, no goofy locks, loaded chamber indicators are tolerable, but I despise skeletonized triggers like Cabot's 3 Star. I don't need extra little crevices to clean. The Beretta PX4, some of the CZ stuff, and Grand Power pistols don't feel like plastic. The guns I choose usually have hammers too, but the Walther PPQ is a great gun too. If I need to own a machine shop to make a trigger group like in a Glock, I am just not as excited about it. Not a huge fan of grip safeties, but I have shot a lot of 1911s, and other guns from the old Remington R51 (.32 ACP & .380 ACP not the new plastic ones) to Springfield XD_s, that have them. The Taurus 92P Beretta 92FS clone with the frame mounted safety is a decent copy, with controls I like better, and it's an accurate gun. I have owned pistols made in the USA, Italy, Germany, Austria, Israel, Hungary, Croatia, France, Poland, South Korea, China, Bulgaria, Russia, Argentina, Brazil, Belgium, Spain, Portugal, The Philippines, Slovakia, The Czech Republic, Czechoslovakia, Canada, Romania, etc. Pick something that actually works well, hope you won't need it, and don't overthink it. In other words, do NOT use the Iraqi Beretta copy as an EDC gun. If all you can afford is a High Point, just remember to knock it into battery, every time it cycles. You can buy a new S&W Shield for $300 right now. Very functional, practical, and affordable. IF I COULD HAVE ONE THING, LOSE THE GLOCK GRIP ANGLE, AND PUT SOME ACTUAL CHECKERING ON THE GRIPS, NOT DOTS, NOT TIRE SIPES, NOT PEBBLE TEXTURE, NOT FINGER GROOVES! It's some half cocked angle halfway in between strong armed target shooting, and natural aimpoint 1911 angle.

Last edited by Satchmoeddie; September 13, 2017 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Add the one or two features I'd most like to see GONE.

Page generated in 0.02345 seconds with 8 queries