View Single Post
Old May 7, 2008, 05:31 PM   #11
BigJimP

For many of us that shoot a lot of targets like you do OneOunce - one of my Browning XS Skeet models in 12ga has at least 75,000 shells thru it as well ....... but honestly, I replace the firing pins and springs about every 2 years myself or whenever they show some deterioration ( its not that big a deal). Your Browning GTI is a good gun and I'm not surprised its gone a solid 75,000 rounds without a problem.

For most good O/U's - taking the stock off every time you shoot in the rain - and at least twice a year ( and clean and lube them ) makes the guns last a good 100,000 rounds with very few problems. The real trick on guns is storing them in a dry and heated environment so they don't get any condensation inside the actions where you can get some rust.

For readers that may not know - its easy to take the stock off an O/U "in general" - just take the recoil pad off the butt (couple of screws) - there are little slits in the recoil pad that will open up with pressure from a phillips head screw driver usually - remove adj comb if gun has one - there is a bolt inside the stock about 13" deep - some of them have a regular slotted screw head in them and some of them need a hex head or allen wrench. Loosen the stock bolt. Some mfg's ( like Browning ) give you a wrench if its an allen head - but not if its a slotted screw head ( but just go down to hardwear store and buy a long screw driver or put an extension on a ratchet. Once you loosen the bolt - ( carefully pull straight back - and remove the stock from the receiver.) Now you can clean and inspect firing pins, springs, etc inside. If you're only comfortable cleaning and inspecting - then do that - lube it lightly with something like Rig Spray Oil - and put it back together. If you find some rust - call you local gunsmith / Brownells, etc and get what you need or get some help. I talk to shooters all the time that have never taken the stocks off their O/U's - and some of them, when they do it, find a ton of rust ....... I think something to consider doing on a rainy day - lay out a towel - and take them apart .... I think it helps my guns stay in service longer.

I would use the same routine with a Krieghoff or a Kolar - but like you said, I would expect no problems well beyond 100,000 shells .

Page generated in 0.02428 seconds with 8 queries