View Single Post
Old June 26, 2018, 08:22 PM   #6
Nanuk

Quote:
I think a lot of officers have no clue on how to handle a dog other than just shooting it.
We do not know what else is going on.

Quote:
I’ve seen a taser work on a cow while riding with that vet. And OC spray sucks for a human. Imagine if your sense of smell is stronger than us? Taser on a dog is a good choice for an officer who has the option. Same with OC.
He made a split second decision, how long did you pontificate your response?

Quote:
This incident though? I don’t know the specifics of the call. And that is the crux. And there are kids still standing around. It cant be that big a deal.
And you say this based on what? I have been to multiple murder scenes and kids are walking through blood pools eating candy.

Quote:
This response was totally wrong. I watched the dog.
Really? the whole second it was in the video?

Quote:
That cop reacted like a word that starts with a P. Given that knew the dog was there. Called it out. I can’t really cut him slack unless there was something more threatening than a smallish dog there.
And that is the rub, we do not know what else was happening.

Quote:
Especially since his bullet hit a kid.
Which is why many of us preach to be sure of your target, what is behind it and not to take low percentage shots. I responded to a domestic and when I responded one guy was hacking another with an axe, I did not shoot him because there were 8 lil faces looking out the picture window behind them.

Quote:
And there were kids still in the house.
There are kids everywhere it seems.

Quote:
A dog that size? It Isn’t going to kill him.
Probably not, but it could cause injury that meets the definition of deadly force.

Quote:
He has height. Backup on scene.
Irrelevant

Quote:
A baton. OC/taser. Maybe even a blade.
He made a startle response, maybe not the right response but he did do something.

Quote:
A bullet into a kid? That can kill them.
You think?

Quote:
And I have been bit.
Me too, by a 100 lb German Shepard.

Quote:
This was a bad shoot for sure.
It was a good shoot, bad shooting.

Quote:
Bad tactics.
VS what? SWAT entry? We do not know the situation.

Quote:
Bad decision making.
He had no time to make a decision, he was provided stimulus and reacted.
With the war on cops you wonder why some are jumpy.

Quote:
Punishment? Well. I think shooting a kid and someone’s pet is going to weigh pretty heavily on the poor guy.
Kid yes, the dog, he was menacing. Protecting his kids, but menacing none the less.

Quote:
And I’d chalk the response up to bad training and tactics.
It was a response, he was trained to react to a threat. You may be the dog whisperer, but most people are not.

Quote:
I mean...can I expect the guy to properly negotiate with a hostage taker? Defuse a bomb? Interrogate a murder suspect? Or do more than a first responder level medicine? Not without good training and experience with said training.
Lack of training rests squarely with the department, not the officer.

Quote:
Personally? I’d rather get bit than shoot a kid.
You and me both, but we were not there.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Page generated in 0.03203 seconds with 8 queries