View Single Post
Old July 2, 2018, 09:52 AM   #3
Sevens

I think that a 5-inch L-frame would be a fantastic revolver but I literally wouldn't pay HALF the cost of a great used pre-lock S&W L-frame for one of these guns they ship currently. No way, no how, and never gonna happen and if you don't agree, then disregard the rest of my post and I'll exit the conversation.

With that said, a 5-inch L-frame is a rare bird. If it doesn't HAVE to be 5-inch, then it's between 4-inch and 6-inch L-frame, which all on it's own is a tough choice. Here's how I see it:

Based purely in looks and curb appeal, the 6-inch full lug L-frame looks OH so right. You also get a longer sighting plane which can/should set you up (theoretically) for more accurate shooting. You also (likely) squeeze a bit more velocity from your round over the 4-inch and finally, the added weight makes heavy loads more enjoyable, simple physics.

The 4-inch full lug L-frame looks stubby and stocky to me, like a wrestler. It just looks like someone had a 6-inch and wacked the muzzle end off. Just my view. But the 4-inch handles so nicely, it balances better, it's just as capable and easier to carry and your arms feel a little less worn at the end of a long session from hanging it out at full arms length.

Myself, I would (and did) choose the 6-inch. Mine is the circa 1989 Model 686-3.

One glaring item you missed, given your list of three: perhaps what you actually need is a long tube, Model 586 or 686 with the 8-3/8" barrel!

Page generated in 0.02333 seconds with 8 queries