View Single Post
Old December 20, 2017, 07:27 PM   #10
std7mag

Time for some clarification...

Things have been bugging me on this thread for a while, time for some clarification I think.. (ok, at least peace of mind on my part).

Since moving here and hunting in PA I haven't had access to private land. Hence all my hunting is on State Game Lands.
And if it weren't for bad luck, and other hunters, I would have bagged several before now.

I have seen deer closer, previously. 2 years ago the largest buck I had ever seen while hunting came out into the gas line 40 yards away. Got so excited, I fumbled, and dropped my bow out of the tree stand. Almost jumped after it...

Last year I found out 3 other hunters were using MY tree stand.

I have been walking further and further away from the truck to try to get away from other hunters.

PA rifle season starts on Monday after Thanksgiving. I was able to go out on Saturday.
I had spotted the deer, 8 does standing in the middle of the gas line from 550 yards, and crept closer. (gas line is about 40 yards wide, but miles long)

Weather was 19 degrees F, calm 2-3 mph winds.

I used a folding seat, and my backpack for a rest, so I wasn't shooting free hand.

The rifle/ammo combo I was using is my Stevens 200 that I re-chambered to 7mm-08AI. I put about 900+ rounds a year out of that particular rifle. About 400 of which with that particular load. Alliant Power Pro 2000, Berger 140gr. VLD Hunting.
I shoot anywhere from 25 yards, out to 500 yards. I shoot almost every weekend. Wind, sun, snow, rain. It's not always 65 & sunny when hunting.

With that rifle, with that load, under those weather conditions, my choice to shoot was an ethical decision.

By all means, I like/choose to close the distance when shooting at game. I don't just take pot shots, hoping for the best.

Thanks for letting me rant.

std7mag

Page generated in 0.02666 seconds with 8 queries