View Single Post
Old December 21, 2018, 11:05 AM   #33
the possum

The .22 drought really pissed me off. I was mad at myself, because I KNEW it was going to happen. I was rearranging my budget to save money specifically for stocking up on .22 ammo, and planned to make a major purchase in the spring. But I just didn't have the cash to pull it off at the time, and the panic hit 3 months before I was ready.

I've been tracking prices on Ammoseek ever since, and it has only been in the past few months that they've finally dropped below 3 cents per round (recently saw cheap plinking ammo for 2.1-2.4 cents per round). I have not paid less than 12 bucks a brick since the late 1990's. So, kids, today's lesson is to stock the hell up on .22 ammo! You can't reload it (in a practical manner), and are dependent upon a steady supply from the factories. It took right at 6 years for the panic to die down, and for prices to return to normal now. So if you want to weather the next big panic, get at least a 6 year supply, whatever that means for you.

Now, here's a further lesson I learned the hard way. The minimum is not enough. I noticed that even after I managed to get a decent supply of it, I didn't want to shoot it, because I knew I couldn't easily replace it. So, if ya wanna enjoy your practice, you need an amount that makes you say, "Man, why did I buy all this ammo? I'll never be able to use it all." That should be your goal.

Page generated in 0.03184 seconds with 8 queries