View Single Post
Old November 24, 2018, 12:39 PM   #57
ThomasT

Quote:
I think a lot are missing the definition of a trail gun. It's purpose is not SD or to
use in bear attack. Might be different if your trail is a path in a metro area park or area where you might encounter a bear. A trial gun has to be accurate, not
7' gut buster level. When you spend a lot of time in the woods such as you do on
a farm or ranch while doing chores or fishing and any other activity other than hunting, it is what you carry. You may what to shoot a squirrel or a varmit. Hard to tell what you may want to put a hole in. Most carry a 22 or 38sp (357). Most
guys will put up with a little extra weight to gain accuracy. Other than 22s I don't
know of any plastic guns that would fill this roll. The ultimate trail gun would be a S&W Kit gun. I prefer a m17 or m14, bigger and heavier but deadly accurate. Some would go with m15 or m18 with shorter 4" barrel. We don't call them trail guns, we call them Cruzin Pieces and I've herd them called Loafen' Guns. They are for people that are in the boonies a lot of the time, not for occasional hikers
or people worried about SD.
DMR50 I agree with you 100%. I started shooting back when that Skeeter article came out. There was no internet so if you wanted to learn about guns you read gun magazines. Thankfully they were far better than they are today. They gave you real information and not just a long winded ad for the gun being reviewed. And they talked about guns for SD but they also talked about the other uses like target shooting and trail walking. They weren't as obsessed with shooting and killing another person like we are today. And it was those early articles that shaped my opinion on what a trail gun was and how it was used.

And I did use my 22 caliber trail gun to get myself out of a really tight spot. No shots were fired but if I hadn't have been armed I might not be writing this today. Even bad guys don't want to be shot even if its just a 22 they are being shot with.

Page generated in 0.02620 seconds with 8 queries