View Single Post
Old January 11, 2013, 05:22 PM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXC4006
My first being, how can I concealed carry as discretely as possible? There seems to be a lot of paranoia about guns these days, and the last thing I want to do is draw attention to the fact that I have one.
Isn't New Hampshire an open carry state? At least you don't have to worry about "printing." That said, generally when you start carrying you have to adjust your wardrobe. If you carry IWB you need larger trousers. I don't like IWB, so I carry in a belt scabbard holster, which then needs a cover garment. In summer, wearing a tucked in tee shirt and then leaving a sport shirt untucked and unbuttoned seems to work fine. In cool and cold weather, I wear either a sport jacket or a vest of some sort. I have a bunch of vests, none of them of a type that screams "TACTICAL!" -- and if anyone asks I just tell them I carry a lot of stuff so I need pockets. (Which happens to be the truth.)

Quote:
My second question is, I doubt it will ever happen, but if I actually have to use my pistol, how would I be able to aim accurately? Most likely I'd have an adrenaline rush which would probably make my aim a little shaky, and the last thing I'd want to do is miss and possibly hurt someone else.
You do plan to practice, right? Something like 95 percent of self defense shooting take place within 15 feet, and a pretty high percentage are closer than that. This isn't bullseye competition -- you just need to be able to hit center of mass at a distance of 10 to 15 feet.

Quote:
My last question for now is what if there is someone with body armor? It seems like a lot of shootings involve a suspect with body armor, what would .40 S&W do against body armor?
This is why many trainers suggest practicing the "Mozambique" -- two shots to center-of-mass followed by one shot to the head -- then reassess and, if necessary, repeat. A .40 S&W will not penetrate personal body armor, but it will get the wearer's attention.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; January 11, 2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Multiple typos

Page generated in 0.02356 seconds with 8 queries