Thread: Lee SDB vs 550
View Single Post
Old January 19, 2012, 02:59 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

Markt99,

I think you made the right choice of the two presses. The auto-indexing is a little faster, IME (I own both the SDB and 550B), and with my wife setting the bullets for me and me setting the cases and working the handle and the primer tubes already filled and standing by, I have cranked out 250 rounds in not much over 10 minutes on it. But you're not looking for anything like the kind of speed where the time needed to thumb the index wheel really adds significantly to it. Manual indexing has the advantage of being easier to stop and check what's going on if you have a problem. No question the changeovers are quicker because of the tool holder design.

I also think the Lee turret presses are a good choice from the standpoint of better monitoring what is going on in every single stage of every single round, but if you're in a situation where you can only get 15 minutes to load a 100 rounds between coming home and the dinner bell and want to spend more of your time shooting than reloading, then the convenience of the progressive's speed will suit you.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Page generated in 0.02527 seconds with 8 queries