Thread: Base layers
View Single Post
Old October 30, 2011, 05:50 PM   #14
Major Dave (retired)

Went to 11,000 ft in Colorado wearing

heavy polypro over light polypro long johns, followed by mil surplus wool pants, mil surplus pullover wool sweater, then mil surp BDU pants, down filled coat, w/mil surp BDU "shirt" as the outer garment. The BDU gear was just for camo (and having multiple pockets to stow gear in). Carried a button up wool sweater with a hood in my day pack. Never had to put it on. Took off the down filled coat a few times when moving up and down the mountain.

For foot warmth, I wore boots w/1000 grams of Thinsulate over one pair of wool socks, with one pair of polypro medium weight socks next to my skin. I also carried (in my day pack) a pair of insulated booties which can be pulled over your boots when sitting on stand.

For my head, I started with a neck gaiter, raised in the back to cover my ears and back half of my head, and raised in the front to cover my chin, or even further up to cover my nose. Then I put on a headband which covered my ears (second layer for ears) and my forehead down to the frame of my eye glasses. Put a baseball cap on next, then top it off with a stretchable "watch cap" (third layer for my ears)..

For hands, I have an assortment of Thinsulate insulated gloves, with a choice of 40, 70, or 140 grams, depending on how cold it is. I also use the heat producing packets (Hot Hands?) inside the gloves. Further, I have a hand muffler (like quarter backs use when playing in Green Bay ice bowls), with more heat packs inside to provide extra hand warmth when sitting on stand.

Warm as toast, but temps never went below 20, so can't say how zero would have affected me.

Last edited by Major Dave (retired); October 30, 2011 at 05:58 PM.

Page generated in 0.03458 seconds with 8 queries