View Single Post
Old July 10, 2019, 07:24 AM   #50
zincwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
I suppose my perceptions and opinion have been heavily influenced by the fact that my state requires the NRA Basic Pistol class as the CCW class. Not NRA First Steps, not Personal Protection in the Home, not Personal Protection Outside the Home ... Basic Pistol. I'm NRA certified to teach that class, so I know what it covers and what it doesn't cover. I also know that if you don't follow the NRA course lesson plan ... it's not the NRA course and, properly speaking, you're not allowed to call it that or issue an NRA certificate of completion.

And the NRA Basic Pistol class doesn't cover tactics, "preclusion," or legal issues. Those are reserved for more advanced classes, such as the two Personal Protection ___ classes. Those both include a module on the state's gun and self-defense laws, and the NRA requires that the legal module be taught by an attorney licensed in the jurisdiction.

[Note: Technically, my state's requirement is the NRA Basic Pistol class or other curriculum approved by the State Police. As far as I know, only one person has gotten his own course approved, and he conveniently happens to be a retired state police officer.]
Yes, Texas could care less about the NRA. The long form CHL course when I took it (all day class) was a mix of shooting test, the law regarding self defense and scenarios on when you could and couldn't use it.

The short form is primarily the law on self defense. License renewals need no class now.

Page generated in 0.02095 seconds with 8 queries