View Single Post
Old January 13, 2007, 05:43 PM   #11
snuffy

The following was posted on the AR forum about a year ago, by the handle of A$$ clown;

[quote]Nickel plating of cases is done for ONE reason and ONE reason only . . . CORROSION RESISTANCE! Leave a brass case in a rifle chamber for a couple days in a hot humid climate and you get a nasty little galvanic corrosion cell which may get you a STUCK cartridge/case.

Nickel plating is all of a few MICRONS thick. 2.54 MICRONS = 0.0001"!

Nickel is harder than WROUGHT IRON. OH yeah, wrought iron is some REALLY soft stuff (softer than many brass alloys).

Nickel plating can be heat treated to make it moderately hard, RC63 to 65, but you won't find that on a cartridge case (brass wouldn't like it).

The CHEAP nickel plating which is done to firearms munitions is NOT very hard, although it is possible it could be harder than a cheap SOFT barrel. This cheap nickel plating WILL DEFINITELY NOT BE HARDER THAN A PROPERLY HEAT TREATED STEEL SIZING DIE![quote]

So If RCBS says not to use nickel cases, because they will scratch their dies, I would definetly buy some other companies dies!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.03309 seconds with 8 queries