View Single Post
Old November 12, 2017, 05:10 PM   #107
SonOfScubaDiver

I haven't figured out how to use the quote function yet, so bear with me.

OM, I don't have a problem with firing five shots rapidly. I practice single shots, double shots, all five, two in one spot, two in another, etc. Knowing how to do that doesn't necessarily mean I have to empty the cylinder though, which kind of gets at what I have been doing a bad job of conveying. I'm not just practicing to shoot well. I'm also trying to train myself on when to stop shooting. In my mind, that's just as important as shooting accurately. For me, settling on five shots before having to reload helps me to focus more on both goals.

While I agree that we can never plan for every single scenario, I know my patterns in terms of where I go, the times that I do those things, etc., so I'm more interested in planning for the most likely scenarios based on those patterns.

For example--I drive to work an hour each way. So, I spend time in the car working on drawing the pistol from where I keep it, which is in a pocket type holster in between the passenger seat and the center console. I practice drawing to fire out the driver's and passenger windows, along with the front windshield. I do it all the time because I know that being in the car so much means the chances of me needing to use my gun while in the car are higher than my chances of needing it at an ATM machine or other places I rarely or never frequent. I also practice drawing a lot when getting out of and into the car in my driveway.

Another place I think about a lot is the Wal-Mart store where I shop. I always go to the same store, know the exits, how the store is laid out, where the bathrooms are, and how to get to the stock areas behind the main floor. Granted, I can't walk into WM practicing scenarios, but I plan for ways that I can get out of harm's way, should someone walk in and start shooting. That way, if I do have to fire in SD, I also leave myself a way of escape.

I do the same thing with all the places I frequent. I run scenarios through my mind, learn where exits and other routes of escape are located, etc. One thing I do at restaurants is to make sure to take a seat that gives me a clear view of the entrance and the parking lot.

The only time I can say that the idea of needing higher capacity magazines comes into play is when I think about scenarios that involve more than two assailants. For me, those generally involve a home invasion. My house gun is G35 with a 22 round magazine, because a home invasion is more likely to involve three or more bad guys.

I'm not suggesting in any way that I've thought of any and every possible scenario. But I do think that I've thought about the most likely scenarios, given my patterns for being out in public. Maybe it's just something in my mind that I will eventually think differently about, but the thought of having guns with higher capacity magazines for my normal everyday being out in public doesn't compute.

I agree with you that more training is a good idea. A friend of mine just took a class that involved being in a car and shooting his way out of it while getting a car seat out of the back seat. He posted video of him running the drill, and it looked very interesting. I'm thinking about taking that course next Spring. The range where I go also offers training in various areas of SD that I am very interested in taking. My work schedule wasn't allowing me to do that, but that's about to change.

Page generated in 0.03629 seconds with 8 queries