View Single Post
Old April 16, 2012, 03:57 AM   #18
gyvel

The photos show the exact same thing that the coyotes would do to a solo hunting dog if the tables were turned. They are both DOGS, and their instincts and behaviors under similar circumstances are identical. Feral dogs would do this to both another dog OR a coyote.

I have an ongoing understanding with coyotes. Stay on the Forest Service side of the fence and there will be NO problems. Cross that line and you will get shot if I see you. Unfortunately, they sneak across at night and have decimated my cat population, even the "coyote smart" ones. (I need cats around for rodent control.)

In defense of our local coyotes, they do play an important part in controlling the rabbit population. This year, there has been a bumper crop of jack rabbits and cottontails for some reason. Something needs to be done to keep them under control.

Coyotes, much like nuclear power, are a double edged sword. They are very useful as part of the ecosystem, but the constant encroachment of humans on their habitat has forced them to become migratory and they are now spread virtually from coast to coast. Familiarity with humans has caused many of them to lose their fear of people and civilization with the obvious bad results.

Thankfully, my dogs keep them at bay if they detect their presence, but, since my pups are getting a bit older, they aren't as sharp as they used to be.

Last edited by gyvel; April 16, 2012 at 04:08 AM.

Page generated in 0.03650 seconds with 8 queries