View Single Post
Old November 25, 2013, 10:15 PM   #16
johnelmore

I think Lanza had more then just Aspergers. It is possible to have more then one mental health issue at a time and this was probably the case here. He probably had many different things which go beyond Aspergers.

I see no problem removing someone from society who has a health issue which effects the safety of others. If I had a deadly contagious disease wouldnt it be the right thing to remove me from society for the safety of others? What about the liberty and rights of the people who are effected by someones illness?

Mental health institutions are professional places which offer a higher level of care then you could in your own home. It is a mistake to believe they are these cold dungeon like places which make someones condition worse. Every person who works in such a place is a highly paid licensed professional knowledgable in their trade. On the other hand, the home is not the place for someone with a complex violent mental condition.

As for the police tactics, its easy to armchair quarterback. The truth is that responding to something complex and developing an instant on scene plan is difficult at best. Im certain for many years to come there will be analysis and critical commentary of the tactics the police used, but this is the best to be expected of a complex situation. You will never get a perfect response.

Last edited by johnelmore; November 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM.

Page generated in 0.02314 seconds with 8 queries