View Single Post
Old July 25, 2013, 06:38 PM   #19
SgtLumpy

At my usual grocery store and my closest Home Depot, those alarm things go off all the time. Sometimes an employee looks up and waves to the person saying "Go ahead, they've been going off all day". Some times I've seen customers come back in and say "Doesn't anyone care that I set the alarms off?". I can't think of a time when I've seen an employee ask for a receipt or to look in the bag.

I used to moonlight in uniform at a Wally's in Arkansas. Essentially I stood at the exit door and said hi to the people exiting. The "undercover" store security, not an LEO, if witnessing a shoplift, would follow and not lose sight of the suspect. Then they'd all arrange a stop once the suspect exited. They explained it to me as they had to keep the suspect in sight once they saw them shoplift. And they had to wait till they got outside in case the suspect claimed they put it in their pocket but were still planning to pay for it. I don't know if that was the statute in AR or Wally's policy.

Store security didn't physically restrain or search. That was my job if necessary. They had some kind of script they read from stating that it was Wally's who was placing them under arrest and turning them over to the custody of the city police department.

Sgt Lumpy

Page generated in 0.03288 seconds with 8 queries