View Single Post
Old July 20, 2012, 10:25 AM   #38
rgrundy

There was a new guy at work recently moved from back east. He wanted to go hunting so I told him how to get a leftover mule deer doe tag (I got one too as it was an extra) and we were to go that saturday. He backed out at the last minute because he need the overtime and worked. I went and killed a good deer.
Well after seeing how easy it was he was excited and wanted me to guide him the next saturday and could we take my truck because his car wouldn't make it in the snow. So off we went.
We got there and the altitude was high and he wasn't used to it so I kept slowing him down which didn't work because he needed to prove how tough he was I guess. After 800 yards of huffing and puffing a nice doe stood up right in front of us. He raised the rifle, then lowered it and asked if he should shoot. The deer ran away and right then I knew we were in trouble. Another 800 yards of puffing put us below a ridge where some cow elk were bedded. I looked at them throught the glasses and him through his scope. I said don't shoot. He thought I said shoot and blazed away. Thank God he was terrible shot. The rest of the day went like that and I was glad when it got dark.
On the way home he was very quiet and had really overexerted himself. Next thing I know he's vomitting into his unzipped coveralls and the map pocket on the door. So we cleaned it up as well as possible and put he coveralls in the bed of the truck under a shovel. The hour ride home with the heater on was barely tolerable.
At the house he thanked me for taking him and invited me in for some coffee and fresh made pie. I had no appetite at that point and took a rain check and went home to clean the truck. Yes i was kind enough not to tell anyone at work.

Page generated in 0.03572 seconds with 8 queries