View Single Post
Old January 2, 2012, 02:12 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Why is this? Are there less FA M14's out there than other FA guns?
I have never shot one, so for those of you that have shot a FA M14, is this thing a bear to handle on FA? Is it pretty much useless on FA? Or not?
As stated, the reason there are so few for sale is that the M14 was never officially released for sale to the public. SO, very, very few guns got to the public legally, and only legal guns could be registered....And since 86, NO FA guns have been allowed to be registered, so.....there it is.

I have shot the full auto M14, in the Army, and my first experience with it was an eye opener! You can, with a bit of practice snap off a two round burst. And the rounds will be "fairly" close together (both on the silhouette, if you aimed at the middle). My first time, after shooting the rifle semi auto a bit,I decided to shoot a 3 rnd burst. SURPRISE!!! Recoil is cumulative! You don't get time to recover! The rifle cycles FAST.

My "3 rnd burst" was 6 rnds, and moved me from a kneeling to a sitting position! After that, I had respect for the rifle and was able to learn to do two rnd bursts and keep them on target....mostly.

The problem with the full auto M14 is that the rifle is just too light for the cyclic rate. And the Army never bothered to develope the cure for this, dropping the M14 for the M16 instead.

A really good muzzle brake will let it be better controlled, but its still too fast for best shooting. I heard some folks came up with a mod to the gas system, reducing the cyclic rate and got a very controlable full auto out of it, but in stock GI trim, its a real bear.

Page generated in 0.03343 seconds with 8 queries