View Single Post
Old February 23, 2006, 07:27 PM   #5
azredhawk44

Quote:
This is a gun that would probably fill every role a handgun can do except maybe grizzly protection. With a hopped up 180gr. HC load, it would also perform that role rather well.
Dang it, now I have to argue with you!!!!

I would be surprised if a smith (or ruger) small frame snubby has a long enough cylinder to carry a full cartridge that exceeds 1.600 inches total length. A 180gr cartridge would need to be around 1.650 or so total length to accomodate a full powder charge of the requisite H110 or 296 to push it to necessary velocity for big critter protection.

But, we have a 3" barrel to get speed from. Not enough. Instead of 1200fps, you get maybe 900fps and a 3 foot fireball. And I think that speed is generous.

Add to that the recoil of the super-heavy bullet, the high energy release from the powerful powder charge, and the tiny gun to control it in, and you certainly do not have the swiss-army 1 gun fits all perfect gun.

It will deal with people perfectly well with proper self defense ammo, as well as small-to-medium wildlife, though.

Page generated in 0.02630 seconds with 8 queries