View Single Post
Old September 22, 2000, 12:40 PM   #14
Unkel Gilbey

(I knew that my post would start a firestorm!)

Fellah's! I realize the inherent dangers of mixing and matching components. I thoroughly read every bit of information that was available about the subject before I even thought about starting to reload shotshells. I know that there is a world of difference between metallic amd shotshell reloading. I took all this into consideration before I even started.

There is still the disparity that I noted between between all the different powder and press manufacturers. How is this explained? Lee says that there is little difference between primers, yet Lyman is very specific about which one should be used. This is only one example.

If it were such a big deal, and Lee's data was wrong, then wouldn't there have been a whole scad of lawsuits about folks blowing up thier weapons and selves after using Lee's equipment? I just want a straight answer - and where to get a better one then from users?

I was truthful enough to admit that I strayed from the 'specs' - albeit only slightly. You can't tell me that of all the people here that reload, there isn't one who's had similar experience?

Someones mention of the person who was unfortunate enough to injure himself didn't mention the exact circumstances - like perhaps that person sent a round down a plugged barrel, or he used just any old powder and used a spoon to dump it into the hull. Or maybe he tried firing Smokeless shells in a black powder gun...? The world is full of people like this (unfortunatly) but I am not one of them - as much as some of you might disagree.

If you folks can explain to me and the masses why the different load manuals disagree, then we'll all be educated on the subject. Newer loaders especially. Older weapons perhaps needed these special considerations - but with the high quality steel that's used in todays weapons (and it's the action that contains the pressure - else they wouldn't make shotshells out of plastic) I question the need to follow the loads so strictly.

Let the shotshells fly...!
Unkel Gilbey

Page generated in 0.02281 seconds with 8 queries