View Single Post
Old February 23, 2001, 05:22 PM   #23
Halfpint

Location: About to be gobbled up by "The People's Republic of Firestone"!
Strangely enough I think I'd be more `confidant' about a set of cuffs made out of some of the newer polymers VS metal. The reasoning being that the polymer ones could be made to flex a lot more without snapping when a force was applied to them. (And for those that would worry about stretching... All that would have to be done would be to design the polymer `chain' to provide the necessary `linear' strength to resist the stretching. It wouldn't affect how it would react to `torsional' effects.)

Having said that I think that until someone or some company actually does sit down and design a set I'll stick with one of the `old fashioned' `tried and true' sets for now. (And this is even after I saw just how much it actually takes to snap, or in this particular case not snap, a *properly applied* `cable tie' setup! [The prisoner that was wearing them ended up with both wrists broken and some *very* livid bruises! But! He *didn't* get them off and because he'd `hardened' them with his struggles it actually took a pair of *bolt cutters' to cut them off! The pair of 8" `dikes' they tried first, after the scissors, wouldn't touch them! This guy was a cross between Mongo and Magilla the Gorilla! I would hated to have seen just what anything besides a pair of `super cuffs' would have been like from what one of the officers said had happened before.])

Of course I'm out of my mind, it's dark and scary in there!

Page generated in 0.02243 seconds with 8 queries