View Single Post
Old January 12, 2018, 10:23 AM   #2
F. Guffey

Quote:
Threads look real good, 12 tpi and the shank is exactly the same length as the original (8x57 reamed to 8mm-06) I replaced on my FN.
I would have checked the length of the chamber from the shoulder to the bolt face before removing, after removing I would have checked the case head protrusion. And then there is the gap between the receiver face and shoulder at the end of the threads on the barrel. I want the barrel to seat against the 'C' ring first and then seat the front receiver ring against the barrel.

I removed a barrel from a Mauser that had metal cutting between the C ring and barrel face. the rifle had other problems but high pressure metal cutting gas should not have been one of them. When making sure the barrel face contacts the C ring first I use a feeler gage to determine the gap. The front receiver ring will seat after the barrel contacts the C ring when the slack is removed from the threads and then there is a little 'crush' but do not count on the two pieces of metal getting closer together.

And then there is the Chilean 12 threads per inch, I have no fewer than 30 Mauser barrels, When replacing a barrel I am always pleased when the barrel screws into a receiver but there is no guarantee.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.03692 seconds with 8 queries