View Single Post
Old June 23, 2013, 10:26 PM   #9
Machineguntony

I agree that anything is possible. But with the DC v Heller case, it is extremely unlikely that our government will be seizing anything in the near future. But you're right. One day a very anti gun President may pack the Supreme Court with antigun Justices like Stevens, who issued the dissenting opinion in Heller.

I started this thread about machine guns as investments, and the Heller case creates more certainty that the NFA will not be repealed, thereby protecting machine guns as investments. During Heller oral arguments, attorney for Heller conceded that the second amendment does not guarantee ownership of machine guns, as such guns are 'dangerous and unusual'. The SC seems to concur in its no binding dicta, and now most lower courts of appeals abide by this dicta.

The biggest danger to machine guns as investment isn't seizure, I think the bigger danger is that the NFA will be repealed, thereby bringing the value of a Pre 86 machine gun to near zero. Slim chance of the NFA being repealed, but it's much more likely than all machine guns being seized.

Ive been talking to some friends, country boys who are big time gun rights guys. It's kind of a weird no-mans land having machine guns as an investment. Those of us who own (or in my case will own) lots of machine guns, as investments, we want the status quo. If the gun control crowd wins out, then we have our investments seized. If the pro gun lobby strikes down the NFA, we lose our investment because the market is flooded with new machine guns. Also, gun control people thnk we're crazy for owning machine guns, and gun rights people think we're an arrogant bunch who would seek to deprive people of their 2nd amendment rights due to our purely financially motivated support of the NFA.

I guess I understand why NFA guys keep to themselves. It's like a little brotherhood. No one likes us.

Page generated in 0.02571 seconds with 8 queries