View Single Post
Old January 7, 2013, 09:52 PM   #13
abq87120

I still consider myself a noob reloader. I started with a Hornaday LnL AP, a progressive press. I figured I was committed to reloading enough to start where I was likely to end up. I still make one round at a time. The Lyman 49th, a most excellent manual. I'm eye-balling the new Speer on Amazon.

My brother has a single stage press and claims he can make around 200 rounds an hour, if that's any help to your decision making.

Lee four-die sets are good for straight case hand gun rounds and inexpensive. They are carbide which theoretically can load without any lube on the cases. I do use Hornaday One Shot which smooths out the feel of the press pull. It is a dry lube that doesn't require it to be cleaned off after the bullet is made. Spray it into a zip lock enough to run on the sides of the bag, dump in a handful of cases and massage them through the bag. This keeps the lube out of the case mouths.

You will probably find that you will run over your initial budget quite a bit once you make your decision so take that into consideration. You can do with an inexpensive case vibrator and no media separator. Turn the vibrator over into a bucket while it is running after the cases are shined. The media will run through the tumbler grill. There are not many other short cuts to economize the initial outlay unfortunately.

Ordering powder and primers online at this time is impossible because of the current political situation and current events. Ordering these online also incurs a HazMat fee of around $25 which makes buying a pound of powder and primers a hundred or so at a time at your LGS more economical.

I use range pickup brass. I have enough to separate by head stamp. My shooting does not demand this however. I could use mixed cases and you could not tell by my results, lol. I keep reloading the same 150 cases until they start crapping out. Then start on the next 150.

If you can start with a couple thousand bullets ($200~), this is a great place to buy economical jacketed bullets. Usually comparable, price-wise, to plated bullets:

http://www.precisiondelta.com/product.php

Reload to suit your budget, take your time and enjoy the learning experience. BTW, my library has a lot of reloading manuals. I have to "hold" them to actually get my hands on them. Then I Xerox the loading data I need before turning them back in.

Last edited by abq87120; January 7, 2013 at 10:13 PM.

Page generated in 0.02021 seconds with 8 queries