View Single Post
Old June 1, 2011, 04:16 PM   #20
Webleymkv

In order from shortest to longest: .38 Long Colt, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum. Any of the shorter cartridges can be used in a gun chambered for a longer one, but not vice versa. Most .38 Special revolvers have shoulders cut into the chambers that will prevent a .357 Magnum or .357 Maximum case from being inserted all the way, but there are some older revolvers and some of dubious quality that may chamber a longer cartridge than what they are supposed to. I very much doubt that you would be able to fit a .357 Magnum cartridge all the way into the chamber of your Rossi.

As to a choice of ammo for your 686, it's really a rather personal decision. .38 Special or .38 Special +P (the same physical dimension as standard .38 Spl ammo but loaded to slightly higher pressure) will have significantly less recoil, less flash, and less noise than .357 Magnum ammo would. .357 Magnum ammo is, on the other hand, much more powerful than .38 Special or .38 +P. Out of a 6" barrel, you will probably get around 1000fps velocity with a 158grn .38+P and 1300fps or more with a .357 Magnum of the same weight.

Personally, I'd prefer the Magnum ammunition out of a revolver like your 686. While the recoil would be heavier than that of .38 ammo, the 686 is a pretty big gun and has plenty of weight to help dampen recoil (I have no problem with the recoil of a .357 Magnum from my S&W M66 which is considerably lighter than your 686). Also, while a .357 Magnum will easily penetrate the interior walls of most homes, a .38 Special or just about any other centerfire handgun will also penetrate drywall with ease. The 6" barrel of your revolver will also help to lessen the flash and noise considerably (the shorter the barrel, the more pronounced flash and blast are).

Page generated in 0.02938 seconds with 8 queries