View Single Post
Old January 11, 2009, 09:32 PM   #48
scorpion_tyr

You say he lives in a really bad neighborhood. I'm gonna go ahead and assume that the 10+ times he drew the weapon were completely warranted. If that is the case, and his situation is that bad, I would say continue carrying. Yes it may be illegal. Yes he may go to jail. Every situation is different and if he has to use the gun in self defense he may or may not go to jail. Depending on the circumstances it could all come down to whether or not the responding officer(s) are having a good day or not.

I know of a few different scenarios where convicted felons on parole (not legally able to even be around firearms) have used a firearm that they kept in self defense and were not convicted of anything. This is because some states have "the lesser of two evils" laws on the books. Basically they say you can commit a crime if you are defending yourself against or stopping a far worse crime.

If he was just walking down the street and for some reason LE found him to be CCing he would probably go to jail. If he stumbled across someone trying to rape/kill a 10 year old girl and he put a stop to it with the firearm, in many places the LE wouldn't even run the serial numbers on the weapon.

Unfortunately this doesn't apply to everyone or every place. I've also seen senarios where people were perfectly legal in their actions and they were convicted to 10 years in prison. If I were in the shoes you described, I would carry. That's just my $.02

Page generated in 0.03340 seconds with 8 queries