View Single Post
Old January 9, 2009, 03:59 PM   #38
Socrates

Let's see. My Italian-american communist, literally, uncle was mugged, living in Fruitvale. With no weapon, and advanced age, he was a target.

He moved into the valley, retired, and died.

His family lives in a not so nice part of Oakland, and, due to their Spanish ancestory, appear to have no problems, yet, despite that, I've been checked out a couple times there, loading and unloading around Christmas. I was not oblivious, and, suffice to say, I was NOT going to be mugged on Christmas Eve. Minding my own business, bringing presents in, yet about 3 folks decided they wanted to get into our business. I avoided the situation, and, the three got to enjoy their own Christmas.

I know two white guys that live in West Oakland. A legal carry permit for a 9mm is out of the question. They carry Beretta 92's, all the time. Everyone knows it, and, they have never been hassled, by police or local gang guys.

When legal citizens with clean records, can't get permission from their government to protect themselves, or their families, the question you present is impossible to
answer, in this forum that advocates following the law. The only legal solution is to remove yourself from this area. In other words, you have effectively lost your right to live where you want, and go where you want, since the government will not allow you to protect yourself, or, protect you, which, by the way, many SC cases will tell you they have no duty to do.

All I can say is know your police force, know your DA, and know what you are getting yourself in for. Also, know the Kali laws in the area you live in.

His 10 brandishings is REALLY a concern, since in Kali, you are more then likely going to have to have clear evidence that your life was threatened. That means something like the 10 stiches in my head from the butt of a Walther PPK/S, being knifed, or stabbed.

It never ceases to amaze me, but, criminals will call police, when they were actually considering a crime, and complain that the defendant brandished. The police are supposed to investigate.

A friend with one of the few CCW's in Contra Costa County came out one day to find a couple guys starting to steal the transmission out of the truck he owned. Tools out, starting to go to work. He pulled his Glock, pointed it only at the ground, and said that they should be on their way.
They called the police, and, they came out. They of course said he pointed the gun at them, and made a bunch of stuff up. He never admitted anything, but, it became an issue when they evaluated his application for a CCW, many years later.

Please draw your own conclusion about what I think of this stuff, and, I would recommend your friend get a GOOD lawyer, and see if he can clear his record. Why, I don't know, because even those with perfect records aren't going to get legal CCW's in Kali, in some areas.

Page generated in 0.03373 seconds with 8 queries