View Single Post
Old June 21, 2017, 12:34 PM   #60
FrankenMauser

I usually have a bruise the day after a session with the SOCOM/Tremor.
It makes me look like a pansy, but I can't stand to shoot with any kind of padding between me and a rifle.

Lil Gun, H110/W296, N110, and the 4227s are the "go-to" powders for standard loads.
I've seen loads shared that used everything from X-terminator (too slow) to 800X (questionable). I've seen a few people that say the 4198s work well with 325-405 gr bullets, but I have my doubts and haven't tried it myself.

Most guys, like you and I have done, jump in with Lil Gun, since there's so much more data to get started with; and then we can at least have some trigger time and do some testing while looking for the next load.

For heavies/subs, Reloder 7, H4198, Norma 200, and VV N120 seem to get a lot of talk.
Some guys have had good luck with Trail Boss, but others have had nothing but problems.

My "go-to" load in .475 Tremor actually uses Norma 200 behind a 275 gr Deep Curl. It's a filthy application, since the powder is too slow - especially for the light bullet; but it runs well, is very consistent, has good case fill, burns well enough to not leave a lot of powder granules, the rifle doesn't get fired enough -overall or in a single session - for the fouling to become a problem, and it still provides unexpected velocities (1,800+). ...And it is, at least theoretically, a much "cooler" load than Lil Gun.
One of these days, I'll work that load back up with H110 and see how it does. One of these days.

I really need to get some 4227...

I have not yet been able to take any game with mine, nor has cornbush (the new owner of my .458 SOCOM upper); but we've been very impressed with clay, water, and wet-pack performance. It just seems to do things that calculations on paper say it shouldn't.

Page generated in 0.02529 seconds with 8 queries