Thread: Noisy live fire
View Single Post
Old September 11, 2016, 06:40 AM   #24
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Taking a quick time-out to chased down ear muffs before engaging the bad guy(s) breaking into your house is a joke, something a gunshop commando would advise.
Agreed. Taking a quick timeout to chase anything down in a self-defense encounter isn't wise.

However, having good quality electronic muffs by the bed with your nightstand gun and flashlight isn't such a bad idea. If you have time to put them on, they will be an asset since not only do they protect your ears, they can be turned up to provide superhuman hearing abilities. If there's no time to put them on, you're no worse off for having them available.
Quote:
If you choose to use a 5.56 AR as your go-to home defense/night-stand weapon, and you anticipate scenarios where you'd actually be firing it inside, get a can for it.
I'm not arguing against suppressors for home defense (at least in firearms where their use doesn't have any negative effect on function--it's pretty obviously a really bad idea to use them if they decrease reliability as can happen in some cases), but they don't solve the problem completely.

Unless all home invaders are courteous enough to use suppressors, your suppressor only solves half the problem.
Quote:
I knew a police officer who fired a hot-loaded .357 in a narrow alley and suffered both temporary pain and long-term hearing loss from one shot.
A friend of mine is married to a police officer who is pretty badly hearing impaired as the result of a single shot of .38spl fired by a criminal and a single .357Mag round fired back that ended the attack.

Page generated in 0.02193 seconds with 8 queries