View Single Post
Old July 6, 2008, 06:58 PM   #24
Keltyke

You are certainly wise to ask about this, and nothing in my post said otherwise. Your instructor may be a great guy, but the idea itself is very flawed, as many have said in this thread.

A far better technique would be to take several steps backwards while drawing and aiming. I've read and been told that you should be able to get your first shot off in 2 seconds, not several. Of course, the element of surprise, your position, and your method of carry will largely determine this, as well as your level of practice. Practice is everything, no matter what the technique or weapon. Standing still and firing low doesn't generate time and it wastes ammo you might need. It also endangers innocents. If you back up, you increase the distance the attacker has to cross to get to you, and that buys time. THAT'S what you're looking for here.

I watched my CWP instructor demonstrate this. He simultaneously drew, aimed, and shouted, "Stop or I'll shoot!" while taking several steps backward. As he moved, his gun remained locked on the torso of the imaginary attacker. If legalities are mentioned, this also backs up your defense, "I gave him every chance to cease and desist." Moving also messes up the attacker's path of advancement. He's now reacting to your movements, you're not reacting to his. You are in control. You can even turn sideways so the backstop behind him is clear of bystanders. Much preferable.

Didn't mean to step on your toes, but you asked for opinions, and I gave mine.

Page generated in 0.02266 seconds with 8 queries