View Single Post
Old March 27, 2014, 12:22 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
There are no exercises to get your mind trained to actually fire.
Of course there are. You are not the first person who has wondered what they will do in an actual violent encounter, nor the first person who is concerned that they might not be able to act decisively when such action is required.

If I were experiencing the doubts you have, I would do my best to accomplish the following.
  • Become involved in one of the "practical" pistol shooting competitions in your area, set aggressive performance goals for yourself and work diligently to accomplish them.
  • Find some good trainers/training organizations focused on practical firearm self-defense and take some professional training. You don't need to become a professional student, but there's a lot that can be learned from those who have dedicated their careers to equipping people to save their own lives.
  • Make it a priority to do some big game hunting and don't give up on it until you can call yourself a competent hunter.
  • Carefully formulate your own philosophy of self-defense. Start by writing out what you believe about self-defense, why you feel that self-defense is something that is worthwhile for you, personally and what you and others have to gain from your actions taken to defend yourself. Detail under what circumstances/situations you, personally, feel that self-defense would be the right choice to make. Explain why you believe that violent self-defense is and should be tolerated, even endorsed by society.
  • Do some study. I recommend you start with Jim Cirillo's book, Guns, Bullets, and Gunfights and also look into the works by Dave Grossman--I don't agree with all of what Grossman says, but the topics he covers will expand your ideas about violence and violent self-defense even if you don't agree with all his conclusions.

Page generated in 0.03988 seconds with 8 queries