View Single Post
Old December 20, 2009, 10:40 AM   #8
rbernie

Quote:
After barrel removal, find the two small holes(gas ports) located on bottom side of barrel. They`ll be drilled into the barrel just inside of the steel mounting ring thats welded to barrel that slides over receiver. MAKE SURE THOSE HOLES ARE OPEN. I use Hoppe`s #9 with pipe cleaners for mine. Get`em good and clean.

Also it would be advisable to replace the rubber o-ring thats located on the tube by the friction ring. Don`t know o-ring dimension`s on the 16 ga. but I`m sure someone here will know. Get the RIGHT size. O-rings can be bought at any hydraulic parts store and some hardware,auto parts store.
Um, the Auto5 has no need for gas ports nor should it have any rubber o-rings - they are strictly mechanical designs. Late (Japanese) Auto5 barrels can have gas ports that are blocked off by the barrel ring, presumably because Miroku/Browning shared barrel blanks between the Auto5 and their gas guns. Those holes are blanked off specifically because they don't actually do anything on the Auto5. If anyone has an Auto5 with rubber o-rings, well, I would suggest that they find the yahoo that put them there (and likely gunked up the works as a result) and give 'em a good talking-to.

Quote:
What I *think* is the serial number, but I've heard it's confusing to find sometimes...
That is the serial number, and it's always been stamped on the bottom of the receiver by the mag tube (at least since the thirties, which is the oldest one that I own).

Your serial number looks early - very clearly pre WWII, and by a good bit - if I understand the Browning serial number history correctly. I seem to recall that they were up to SN 228,000 by 1939 for the 12ga models, for example. That raises the very strong possibility that you have a 2 9/16" chamber. You will want your chamber checked.

You will also want to verify that the ejector on the left wall of the barrel extension is still intact.

Last edited by rbernie; December 20, 2009 at 04:09 PM.

Page generated in 0.03171 seconds with 8 queries