View Single Post
Old November 2, 2013, 12:13 PM   #26
Wyosmith

Let us not drink the cool aid?
Catch phrases are all about marketing.
"Combat Pistol"?
What exactly is that?
And more importantly, what is not a combat pistol?

I used an issue Colt 1911A1 in the Marine Corps and also later working for DOD.
I have also used a S&W M58.

Once I found myself in a sticky spot and all I had was a S&W K-22, which I never fired, but was 100% ready to. The situation worked out when police officers got there before I had to shoot, but the point is still solid.

Any pistol used in a fight for your life is a combat pistol. Some have advantages over others, but "Combat Pistol" is in the same league as "Assault Rifle", "Saturday night Special" and "Hate Crime"
There are phrases to elicit a mental response from the reader of listener, but the phrase itself is a bit silly.
Combat is always going to revolve around the fighter more than what he fights with. 98% of the fight is about the man, and 2% about his tools.

If you have a good tool, and you can use it when it counts to a high degree of proficiency, you are going to hold an advantage in most fights.

Let the advertisers and magazine writers do their job, but don’t let them sway you into thinking you can’t fight if something “better’ comes out for sale.

Any RELIABLE handgun is a good tool to fight with. More power is better than less, and more accuracy is better than less. More controllability is better than less.
Choose one that you like the feel of, that works well, and learn to use it WELL. Make it a point to become a VERY good marksman, a VERY competent gun handler, and someone that understands movement and communication when you are under fire.
Then you have a good “combat pistol”

More importantly, you can become a good fighter.

Guns don't kill, people do. Sometimes people kill when they should and not only when it's a crime. It's NOT the guns fault or responsibility in either case.

Last edited by Wyosmith; November 2, 2013 at 12:20 PM.

Page generated in 0.03333 seconds with 8 queries