View Single Post
Old November 1, 2012, 02:05 PM   #17
snuffy

Jimro, that's better but if you were to be crimping into a cannelure, you'd be all over the place, top to bottom of the groove. No, I don't crimp any .223's. As for bullet/neck tension, there would still be some variation.

I just got some LC once fired .223 brass from here;

http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/StoreFront

MRE brass was shipped in a re-painted green ammo can, the total for 500 pcs was 50.09 including shipping. They had been tumbled before shipping.

I just finished FL sizing and removing the primer crimp,(Hornady cutter). So the next step is to trim. I just did 15 with the lee set-up. Measured every one of them, ALL were at 1.751! No variation. Some were very long, as much as 1.768, others only barely cleaned up the mouth.

Your point as to is the length variation being caused by differences in the neck length is only a concern if you're aiming to get the same neck length to control neck tension. I'd think that it's more of a concern with the lee system, than with a trimmer like the possum hollow, gracey, or the WFT. Since they control length by gauging off the shoulder.

I control the shoulder position by use of a RCBS precision mic, Reading factory shells fired in my AR. Then sizing to .003 less than that reading. One way to find out if the necks are different lengths would be to see if all the shells positioned the shoulders to the same readings on the prec. mic.

Since the lee trimmer reads off the bottom of the case head, it could have variations in the neck length.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?

Page generated in 0.04840 seconds with 8 queries