View Single Post
Old May 31, 2011, 09:18 PM   #1
WolfMacabre

Introducing Children to Firearms

So I was having this discussion with some friends who are also parents and we couldn't really come up with anything solid. I have a 15 month old toddler, another on the way, and several guns with the intent of getting more.

So my question is, what is a good way to introduce young children to firearms and firearm safety, and what is a good age to start at?

We currently don't let our little guy play with any toy guns, and today was the first time he got to see my handgun (up close and unloaded), I let him look but not touch and kinda showed him around the gun, obviously he's not quite capable of understanding though.

My girlfriend, while not against guns, and in fact wants to get one and enjoys shooting them, is a bit against him even knowing about guns yet. She's scared to let him near even fake ones, fearing he may find a real one and play with it (which I keep my long guns out of reach, my home handgun locked up, and my carry gun up high and unseen when it's not on me, i'll have to take more precautions when he is older though I know)

So what is everyone's thoughts? Is there an ideal age and method of introducing children to firearms?

Page generated in 0.02594 seconds with 8 queries