View Single Post
Old November 3, 2009, 07:57 AM   #6
Daryl

JD,

You and I have a lot in common.

I don't call as much as I used to, but I still LOVE IT!

I much prefer mouth calls, and I still use them a lot. I do have a makeshift e-callre that I use occasionally (for certain types of stands, or when I'm feeling lazy), but I actually (most of the time) call more coyotes with the mouth calls. Heck, I still use an old Weems Wildcall, and they haven't been made in many years. That and a custom buffalo horn howler seem to pair up pretty well for me.

I liken calling with hand calls to fly fishing, and using an e-caller to dunkin' worms. Both result in coyotes, but one is more of a "purists" method, and can be far more effective when mastered. Besides, I'd rather shoot one coyote called with a mouth call than 5 with an e-caller.

I've been out one evening this fall, called in two coyotes (same stand), and got them both. I was lucky, no doubt, but the first one gave the second one away when it looked back just before I pulled the trigger. I switched targets and shot the farthest one first, then got the close one.

Both were young of the year, so their first education was costly.

With all the pressure on them though, the coyotes are getting smarter and harder to call. I guess I've killed enough of them that it wouldn't bother me if I never shot another, but I'll keep going out and trying. It does make a fella appreciate each one, that's for sure.

Daryl

Page generated in 0.02830 seconds with 8 queries