View Single Post
Old March 12, 2009, 02:05 AM   #1
joejeweler

Remington New Model 1858 "Fancied Up",....Genuine and Opinions?

Hi all,....new to the forum here and i thought i would pick the brains of some of you more knowledgable BP types!

Fact is i couldn't resist this one last week at an area antique store. The markings on top of the barrel look OK to me,......but the serial numbers under the barrel, on the trigger guard,.....and on the frame under the grips don't match. Not sure if they always should, sometimes do,......or thes pistols more often were pieced together from parts as they became available?

Along with the top of barrel Remington and patent marks,......someone had their name and year of 1946 engraved. (the lettering is upside down in relation to the patent marks) Not sure when the many copies of this gun started,.....but i suspect they aren't quite that old.

Just about all that could be engraved was,.....and the recesses were covered in a gold color. The engraving has a fairly sharp feel to it and fairly deep,......and the blueing looks to be original and about 98% all there. Looks like this one was well cared for.

The bore is in pretty good shape,.....just a very small amount of light pitting toward the muzzle. Cylinder is fairly tight also,.......although it looks like the slots were lightly peened somewhere along it's life.

Anyway,.....here are some pretty detailed pics that i hope will garner some useful info,.......and if you're at all like me you like to drool over some old steel pics!

Last edited by joejeweler; March 12, 2009 at 02:48 AM.

Page generated in 0.03232 seconds with 8 queries