View Single Post
Old November 28, 2009, 02:20 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Quote:
It's actually the Japanese Type 26 revolver that was known to blow up in one's hand.
Quote:
(i wouldn't fire it--they were known for blowing up in your hands).
Classic arguments for almost every weapon brought back from a war.

The biggest problem with these 'dangerous' weapons, was the GI holding it. Between not knowing (or being able to read) what the thing was chambered in, and not knowing how to operate it... many unfortunate accidents happened.
Then, of course, there was also the minuscule number of booby-trapped weapons that claimed lives, limbs, or sight.

Even American and British weapons have suffered from bad reputations. A good example is the Springfield M1903. I cannot even count the number of times I have seen some one assume the magazine cutoff is actually a safety lever. I've read or heard of several instances that follow the same path: The uneducated operator flips the lever to "ON", assumes the rifle is now safe, does something stupid, and has a negligent discharge. (Same thing happened with American and British GIs in WWII. They didn't know how to operate the Luger, and had a lot of NDs while handling them; labeling it an 'unsafe' pistol.)

SWoj:
Pictures will be the quickest way for us to identify your firearm. (Along with descriptions of what is in the picture: characters, numbers, crests, etc.)

Last edited by FrankenMauser; November 28, 2009 at 02:32 PM.

Page generated in 0.02317 seconds with 8 queries