Thread: Remington Rand
View Single Post
Old September 12, 2011, 11:21 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

there is correct, and then there is correct....

Quote:
apparently the hammer isn't correct on it.
I was a Small Arms Repairman (MOS 45B20) during the mid 70s, and I can tell you for a fact that the hammer on your gun could be completely "correct", but might not be the one it left the factory with.

During my service I saw several of the Remington Rands, and other WWII guns, (the last time the army bought new 1911A1s was during WWII), and we maintained the guns with whatever parts were in the bins.

I even saw a couple of 1911 framed guns, one all original (except we replaced a battered rear sight), and another with several A1 parts.

Army policy from the adoption of the A1 was to maintain 1911s with A1 parts, when needed. SO, you gun could have the "wrong" hammer for the gun as it was originally made, and still be comepletely "right" for a gun in "as issued" condition.

Theoretically, there would be a paper trail on the gun for any work done on it during its military service, but as a practial matter, given the amount of time, and the low priority of records keeping for minor things in the old days (I personally saw hundreds of work order records tossed from my shop alone, to "make room" for something our shop sgt wanted the space for) there is virtually no chance of proving when, or if the replacement hammer was done in a GI workshop, or by someone else in the years since the gun left the service.

I have a RemRand in my collection right now, but about 20 yrs ago, some one decided to turn it into a pin gun. Stippled the frontstrap, swapped out parts, etc. No hope of restoring that gun to GI issue condition.

had one in issue shape years ago, but that one got stolen about 2003.

Take care of yours, shoot it once in a while, and ONLY with GI ball, or equivalent loads.

Page generated in 0.02637 seconds with 8 queries