View Single Post
Old July 13, 2004, 12:13 AM   #8
UnforgivenII

I'm shooting a 6 in barrel Ruger GP 100. I hunt in southern Alabama and the largest body sized deer I have seen was a rather large for the area buck that weighed in at about 200. Most of the bucks here though normally range from 120 to 160 and does from 80 to 110 lbs. The GD's were 158 grs. I took a spike with them that weighed 120 from about 30 yrds. Bullet went through and from the wound channel it looked as if I had hit it with a fmj. No blood trail. Luckily for me he ran a circle in the middle of the field and dropped. When I got to him I noticed there was very little blood on the ground even where he finally dropped. The XTP's same story(158 grs also). I took a doe at about 10 yrds with a 125 gr sjhp winchester. I have to admit it was low light and I made a low shot on her and had to track her but the results were promising. I probably wouldn't have found her if I had used the XTP's or GD's. I had a pretty decent blood trail on that one but I was concerned that the only reason I had decent penetration on her was the fact I was so close. I don't want a deer to walk out at 30 or 40 yrds and me loose it because the bullet failed to do the job.It would make me sick if I wounded one like that. My department issues Ranger SXT's for my 40 and I like the round but winchester doesn't make them for a 357 mag.

Page generated in 0.02405 seconds with 8 queries