Thread: Feral Dogs
View Single Post
Old March 4, 2001, 12:27 PM   #9
ERRainman

I've never gone looking for them, but the order of the day when deer hunting in GA was to shoot any dog that is in the woods where we were. None of them belonged there (5000 acres of prime deer, turkey and quail hunting), so none of them were spared. Never had a pack come after us, but then, we were up in stands.

One of my buddies used to bait them on cattle farms during calving season and use shotguns as backup when they would get in too close for comfort.

Feral cats have been eliminated where I deer and turkey hunt and the quail are making a comeback as a result. Now if we can just get cut down on the number of coyotes and foxes. Recently moved to a little farm and found more than enough feral cats to eliminate my barn rodents, so I have taken to twilight target practice over various and sundry leftovers fom squirrel (and cat) shooting. It's amazing how many of them are still around. I have to eliminate them before I set up my jenny pens for the pen-raised quail for bird-dog training. I figure our place will have a standing rule like my great-grandfather's did: "Don't touch my blacksnakes or my bird-dogs. Anything else on the farm is fine for shooting as long as it's in season. Or it's a cat." He never had a rodent problem and the quail population was quite prolific. Of course he had lots of kids, grandkids, and great grands to take care of the predators.

ERRainman

Page generated in 0.03529 seconds with 8 queries