View Single Post
Old June 3, 2010, 06:15 PM   #6
zippy13

The small guns have a lot of appear in the LGS, but shooting them is a different story. Let's hope Remington isn't having a replay with their Sporting .410s as they did back in the day: In 1969, the year after I got my first Skeet specific gun, Remington first offered the first 1100s in 28-ga and .410-bore. Initially they were offered only in pairs. These little lovelies had matching serial numbers, gilded gold accents, removable barrel weights and a hard case. All this for a retail price of $495.00(the next year a standard R-1100 .410 was $195.); however, they didn't sell them all the first year. I recall seeing the 1969 guns in pro shops well into the 1970s. Of the guns that were sold, it was unusual to actually see one in use. I suspect many pairs are still in their cases held by collectors -- or, shot once or twice and then retired or passed on.

Remington's timing was terrible, by 1969, stick .410-bore comp guns were gasping for their last breath. Why?… because folks were shooting higher Skeet scores with O/Us and more specifically the early tubed O/Us. For many years, competing in a .410-bore event meant you probably used the .410 version of Winchester's Model 12, the model 42. If you've never shot a stick (pump or auto) .410-bore, then you need to understand that there's more to it than just shooting a scaled down 12-ga. The little gun is much more particular than its big brother. Jambs are much more frequent with .410s, especially if you using old school re-loaded paper hulls.

When discussing shotgunning proficiency, many folks claim, "It's more the Indian than the arrows." However, with the .410-bore, the arrows play a major role. Here's a point to ponder: Using old school guns and ammo, at the World Skeet Championship .410 event, no one shot a 100-straight until 1960. With newer guns, plastic hulls, and one-piece wads, since 1970 every world .410 winning score has been a 100-straight. The Indians aren't that much better, but the arrows are. Let's hope the OP has more fun than frustration with his new R-1100 Sporting .410.

Page generated in 0.03402 seconds with 8 queries