Thread: Just had an ND
View Single Post
Old September 15, 2008, 07:35 PM   #37
pax

Quote:
And I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but I believe that if both parties agree to it, and both parties have checked the weapon, that it's okay to point a weapon at another person during training, or demonstrations.
Yes, that's the procedure this person followed: http://video.aol.com/video-detail/de...-40/1055649446 I'm sure he thought he was following a safe procedure when he unloaded his gun, checked it, and then also had another person check it.

What he did might have even been his department's policy, but ... well, it wasn't safe, and it isn't safe, to point functional firearms (even unloaded ones) at body parts belonging to human beings whom you are not willing to shoot. I'm glad it was only his own leg that got shot, and not the chest or head of a training partner, or any of the children sitting in front of him.

By the way, there's neither glee nor sarcasm here. I'm not one to rejoice in the misfortunes of others, especially not some poor guy who injured himself in such a spectacular manner that he will literally never live it down because it was caught on video and went viral. There but for the grace of God and all that: people make mistakes.

Please don't think I'm flaming you. I'm really not. I am begging you to reconsider a dangerous habit, and giving you reasons why you might want to do so.

By the way, I agree with you about those plastic barrels. They're the cat's pajamas, all right. They turn a functioning firearm into a non-functioning replica which fits all of your gear, and allow you to do all the basic manipulations you'd ever want to do without endangering anyone.

pax

Page generated in 0.02562 seconds with 8 queries