View Single Post
Old August 11, 2018, 10:44 AM   #7
F. Guffey

Quote:
Quote:
Datum point is simply a reference point
For real? You have no ideal how silly reloaders get when 'the datum' is mentioned. Again, I make datums, I collect datums and on rare occasions I purchased datums. many reloaders insist 'the datum' does not exits,

The digital head space gage is not a head space gage; Starrett claims the digital head space gage is a dial indicator stand. The dial indicator stand has been listed in catalogs for 70+ years. At best the dial indicator stand can be used as a comparator but it takes a misguided and confused reloader to purchased one thinking he has purchased a head space gage. And I have had all kind of difficulty finding case head space.

I guess you guys can get together and boo-hoo to SAAMI, not me; I have no trouble accepting the fact the case does not have head space. I have no trouble off setting the length of the chamber from the datum/shoulder to the bolt face with the length of the case from the shoulder/datum to the case head.

I have no infatuation with head space, the fact head space gages come in SAAMI lengths as in go and no-go and field reject lengths does not drive me to the curb. HOW? I measure the length of a chamber from 'ZERO' , I know, no one understands what that means. And; it is nothing new, there were a few smith having it out 70 years ago, Back then there were these smiths giving this old man a difficult time; they just could not get the concept of 'zero'. To prove it they had tool boxes full of gages.

All I have is the datum and a way of verifying it.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.02354 seconds with 8 queries