View Single Post
Old June 7, 2014, 10:07 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm the same. I've never heard of there being any legal issues between Savage and Winchester.

And Winchester certainly didn't muscle in and usurp the military development process, either. They were part and parcel to it pretty much from the get go.

Military interest in a shorter cartridge of approximately .30-06 power began during World War II.

The .30-06 had a bunch of dead air space between the powder and base of the bullet, and there had been severe materials shortages of copper and cartridge brass during the war. Shaving off that dead space would make the cartridge lighter, and it would conserve vital materials.

The military called in Winchester to assist in the initial development because the military research and development teams at the Frankford and Springfield Arsenals were up to their eyes in other projects.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the first guns converted to the short cartridge were M 1 Garands and Browning M1919 machine guns, and were first converted to .300 Savage dimensions.

It was found at that time that the short neck on the Savage design did not work and play well with automatic weapons.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.03151 seconds with 8 queries