Thread: I'm stuck!
View Single Post
Old August 10, 2000, 01:27 PM   #4
DaMan

Poodleshooter, I take it your HBAR has the Colt chrome lined 1:7" twist. These have a very long throat.

You are going to have problems getting good accuracy with some of the pointier more ballistically efficient bullets and still keeping them magazine length.

Your choice is to single load longer cartridges or go to a bullet with a blunter design that brings the ogive closer to the riflings.

The Sierra 55gr. BTHP and the Sierra 52gr. Match King come to mind are the closest you can get the ogive to the rifling and maintain magazine length cartridges (2.260"). These might help you out.

I've also never had real good accuracy with W748 and these bullets. With the 55gr. you might try 4895 (H or IMR). And with the 52gr. MK you might try 4198 (H or IMR) or even H335.

Also I highly recommend the RCBS Precision Mic! This will allow you to set sizing die to bring headspace to only .004" under fired dimensions and you can also check where your rifle likes the bullet ogive to be located for best accuracy.

Regards! DaMan

[This message has been edited by DaMan (edited August 10, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.02878 seconds with 8 queries