View Single Post
Old November 30, 2001, 04:53 PM   #24
Borf

So it's an action from a webpage?

hmm...

Couple of things then - I'm not real swift on MySQL (I'm a C/Perl/Oracle/Informix/Postgres kind of junkie), and indexes are a very database-specific thing type of thing. I've also never seen the vB software so I don't know how it works, although I assume it uses PHP's built in facilities for talking to MySQL. I do know that newer versions of MySQL support an index type of FULLTEXT, which I'm assuming (you know what they say about assuming) TFL uses, perhaps multi-column. Chances are the re-indexing is being done through an ALTER INDEX( or CREATE INDEX) in one of PHP's "mysql_*" functions.

What I would suggest (either for this time or future use) *is* to figure out what exactly vB is having MySQL index. Then you can either do it manually, or maybe easier to write a perl script (using DBD::MySQL) to do it. Or maybe the MySQL myisamchk util has something for indexes (I really don't know). Advantage of this being you can schedule it or run it from the command prompt. If you're just running something from a shell (command prompt) you can use "nohup" to invoke it (causes the process to ignore "SIGHUP" - the HangUP SIGnal the terminal driver sends when the connection is broken) so that it will keep going when you disconnect. Screen can give you similar benefits, but by maintaining multiple virtual consoles within a single tty connection... to which you can usually reconnect if you get disconnected.

Does vB have any utilities that can be run from a shell that will index?

I don't know how to help you from the web-browser aspect.

I just read back through that... geez I hope it helps somehow.

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom;
and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money it values more, it
will lose that, too.
-- W. Somerset Maugham

Page generated in 0.03264 seconds with 8 queries