View Single Post
Old July 17, 2015, 07:25 AM   #15
AK103K

Quote:
I see no need to practice something I so seldom do
That seems to be the mentality of a lot of shooters I see anymore. Offhand isnt the only position not practiced.

The majority of hunters I see, come in just before the season starts, take a couple of shots off the bench, declare it good, and leave. At most of the ranges Ive ever shot, the only people Ive seen shoot from field positions, are the HP or military match shooters. Everyone else, shoots off a bench.

Its lucky for hunters here, that they dont have to pass some of the European hunting/shooting tests to get their license. I doubt many would pass.

I practice and shoot offhand more than anything else these days. Its always been the most difficult and challenging, and required the most work. Its also great for maintaining muscle tone required for all shooting. Shooting is a perishable skill, and if you dont keep up with it, your skills will suffer.

I also practice snap shots regularly, as they are probably more realistic than anything else when it comes to long gun shooting, hunting or otherwise. Shouldering and shooting quickly is a necessary skill. Sporting clays is a great way to practice and stay in shape here too. You get all the aspects, shooting, moving targets, brain and body working together to make the shot. You dont get that, sitting at a bench, or talking/reading about it at a keyboard.

Page generated in 0.02801 seconds with 8 queries