View Single Post
Old August 28, 2006, 08:49 AM   #17
Sarge

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one inv. I'm not saying it is the right way, I am saying it is the best way. There is a difference. If someone has problems with that style grip, it is because they weren't taught properly.
Disagree we shall then, albeit politely.

I think some of the folks I mentioned were indeed taught properly; then they go back to shooting with buddies, etc. and 'pure technique' goes out the window. I also think if one shoots that grip, with only semiautos, to the exclusion of everything else, they can do excellent work with it. Add to the mix someone with excellent reflexes and hand eye coordination, who is committed to excelling at one gun/one discipline, and you end up with a Leatham, Enos, or Jarret.

We'd like to be able to teach them all to drive like Richard Petty, too (and although some of them think they already can ) but that ain't happening. We need for them to get from point A to point B in the most expeditious manner possible, without killing themselves or somebody else, or running carloads of nuns off the road in the process. Petty could probably get there faster- but we need them to get there every time. Once they get there, another set of problems presents itself.

Quote:
I'm not saying it is the right way, I am saying it is the best way. There is a difference.
And I'm saying that the best way for each individual shooter is the right way. I've shot Weaver, but I'm not married to it. I carry an auto for work, but I also carry revolvers at work and my 'off-work' gun for years has been a 4" .44 Magnum- though for years it was a duty gun, too. These days time it's usually loaded with 250's at 1250, but I still qualify with it on occasion using 210 Silvertip-level loads.

I find this with the people I teach as well- many of them have a snubnosed magnum revolver for off-duty or backup. Some of them even shoot big ol' hard-kicking single actions. They need to learn a grip that will work instinctively, regardless of the gun they are reaching for.

The grip I described in my earlier post works with revolvers or autos, regardless of action type or recoil level. It works with various weapon retention techniques, and the position of the strong hand remains the same whether one hand or two is being used. Note-My finger is on the trigger in the following photos, to illustrate that the grip facilitates proper placement of the trigger finger.

Now I'll admit that I haven't tried the 'clamshell grip' with a .357 snub, a short .44 Mag or a Freedom Arms .454...I believe I'll stick with something that works, for me, instead.

PS- I admire your passion, and I congratulate you on having had the opportunity to train and shoot with the 'cream of the crop' over a period that can only be described as revolutionary in terms of shooting technique. I'll leave you with the last word on this one, secure in the knowledge that we're probably not going to change each others' minds. Good visiting with you.

Page generated in 0.04136 seconds with 9 queries