View Single Post
Old August 7, 2018, 10:34 PM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Why did certain euro hunting carry over but not all?

Almost no deer hunting with dogs apart from a few states. Deer driving with people also illegal in most states?
A simple thing to say is that traditions carried over that worked well. Traditions that didn't work so well ended up being discarded. Just because something worked in the Euro theater doesn't mean it works well in the US, Australia, etc. Animal type, population density, environment, regulations, land ownership, etc. all come into play.

At one point, whitetail deer were decimated in the US which brought about many of the deer hunting regulations that we have today. Deer drives were one of the methods that led to the overhunting (or was perceived to have led to overhunting) of deer and so the method wasn't allowed to continue. On top of that, it just wasn't common in many areas of the country either.

Quote:
And what about when hares/rabbits go under ground no terriers?
The european rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) is a burrowing animal. The european hare (Lepus europaeus) isn't. So the terriers probably are not going underground much for hares in Europe.

Rabbits (Sylvilagus sp. and Brachylagus sp.) and hares (Lepus sp.) in the US are not burrowing animals. They will sometimes occupy the abandoned dens of other animals, but otherwise, they are not common burrowers. As such, no need for terriers to to underground to get rabbits and hares.

Quote:
We even hunt pigs with these spitzbreeds and with terriers and smaller herrying breeds
Plenty of people here hunt hogs with dogs. They are called hogdoggers. That they don't use the same breeds is just a preference issue.

Page generated in 0.02263 seconds with 8 queries